Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Mundane

Lost was on in only thirty-five minutes, so he knew that he needed to hurry up. He decided to take a beer with him, for the drive. He justified it by telling himself that this way he wasn't driving drunk, the alcohol wouldn't be absorbed by his body for another twenty minutes. He got into his car, an 87 Acura with horribly faded paint and more than a few dings and dents, and made his way to Brandon's house. It was raining, but it was a dry desert rain. One where you know the minute it stops that all traces are going to vanish.

As Brandon got into Brad's car their was a look of joy in his face. It was a sort of happiness that so overwhelms a person that it overflows onto the people around you. For you see our friend Brandon had met a girl. And not just any girl, but a brunette with a slender body and a face from a magazine. So our friends bantered back and forth on the drive telling each other the small bits of happening that come with living a mundane lifestyle. That isn't to say that thay these guys don't have crazy moments, because they do, it's just for the most part these guys do the same thing every day. In fact, I bet next week the same damn things are going to happen as what happens on this weeks episode of "The mundane existence".

Brandon: (Big grin on his face) How's it going there buddy?

Brad: (Face a blank slate) Oh you know, it's going pretty well.

Brandon: The how's the job at the word processing plant?

Brad: You know, it's all just pushing paperwork. Read this and then give it to some other person to read so that they they can recommend it to yet another person who in the end will end up doing nothing with it. And along the way everybody has to report what it is that they're doing with their time and filling out extra paperwork which ends up going through the same beaureucratic nonsense. (He only actually said the first sentence in this paragraph, the rest of it he just thought he said. Or maybe he did say it, and no one heard him, because Brandon has been too busy talking at the same time to hear one word of what Brad said.)

Brandon: (Starts talking during the first sentence of the last paragraph) So I met this girl today and she's amazing man. I mean I don't believe in love at first site but damn this girl might be the exception because, man, you should just see the way she looks when she looks at the stars. It's amazing man. She's this astronomy nut and she's always talking about how good we have it out here away from the city lights where we can see so many stars that they create a blanket int he sky.

Brad: What?

Brandon: Huh?

Brad: Wait what were you talking about?

Brandon: No, you were saying something there about, what was it?

Brad: Well Brandon, oddly enough I've forgotten what it was I was talking about.

Brandon: Well I don't remember either.

So I don't really know what to make of this, but I had a great time writing it. It was kind of fun to just let the style of the story drift around and see what changes that made in the direction the things was going. I mean, I started out thinking that I was going somewhere, on some journey, and instead you get to hear these two people talking about their asinine existences and eventually you get to the end and it took you nowhere.

1 Comments:

At 6:21 PM, Blogger Sarah Nadine said...

Heya... I saw your comment about my post on my sister's book reveiw blog. I would love to read your Henry James paper, if you have it handy. :o) my email is: misscoffey@gmail.com I tried to get the American, but they didn't have it at the library, so I'm staring on The Golden Bowl next.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home